»

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why me?

Today was kindergarten registration for Anna. She wasn't quite as excited as Ellie was, I guess because she's pretty familiar with the whole thing since she went everywhere with Ellie last year, but I hope she'll be excited by the time school starts. Anyway, registration didn't start until noon today and I needed to get a few things from the store (soy milk for "Big Owen"), so I was planning to leave around 11. I didn't think we'd be too long and Ogden had just gone to the bathroom, so I figured we were safe to leave him in underwear. I did pack a change of shorts and underwear just in case.
So, when I finally got almost all of the kids into the car I saw my neighbors outside. I went to tell one of them something and all of the kids got out of the car while we visited for quite some time. By the time I got all of the kids back in the car, it was almost noon. I decided we'd just go to one store and then head over to the kindergarten center.
The store went well, surprisingly, and we made it to the kindergarten center a little later than planned. I think I picked a bad time to show up, though. It was crazy. There were people everywhere. We had to go from line to line filling out papers, and then wait in a really long line for almost an hour just to find out who Anna's teacher is.
The kids were so patient and I kept asking Ogden if he needed to go to the bathroom. He kept telling me "no" until we got to be about the third people from the front of the line. I told him he'd have to wait because I wasn't going to wait in that line again. I decided it would be best if I just held him so he wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom, and it worked. We finally found out Anna's teacher and I ran Ogden to the bathroom. I made him try 3 times to go, but he kept saying he didn't have to, so we went to meet Anna's teacher.
When we got into the classroom, the kids all ran over to play in the little play area while I talked to the teacher. I was so worried about Ogden running over there, but I didn't want to walk away from the teacher while she was talking to me. Well, pretty soon Ogden came out telling me he needed to go to the bathroom, which he didn't, because he already had! I was so embarrassed. I had to ask the teacher if she had anything that I could use to clean up an accident on the carpet. I know she'll never forget us. This is another one of those reminders that my mother-in-law was right when she said, "Dogs and children always keep you humble."
By the time we got done changing Ogden and finishing up the whole registration, it was 2:30 and the kids hadn't had lunch yet. I was starving, so I can't imagine how they felt. What a mess of a day, and then the teacher that I had requested for Anna ended up getting a job in Pocatello. I hope the school year turns out better than the registration.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always LOVE posts titles "Why Me?" I know there's going to be a great story to follow. LOL! SOrry Ogden humbled you, but it makes for a funny story for me to read. HA! Too bad about Annie's teacher, I sure hope the one she got will be good. I am sure Annie will do great, it's amazing how they well they do away from home.

Esther Ogden said...

Oh, Amber! I have to say that I can truly empathize with you (although not today-your daughter makes home a heaven on earth for me!) Oh, and thanks for taking care of "Big Owen" and the soy milk thing! Love you lots!

Jeremy Ogden said...

If peeing your pants is cool, then Ogden is Miles Davis.

Marta said...

It isn't so embarassing that Ogden wet his pants. Now if Anna did, that would be embarassing!

Elise said...

Ugh... potty training...

This story reminds me (as if I need another reminder) that I am not looking forward to this stage with Gordon. Maybe I just won't take him anywhere!

I can't believe Anna is going to kindergarten!

Aric and Sally said...

Aww, leave the poor kid alone. He was just marking his territory.

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Oh BOY!! I feel like I have a million stories like that I can relate with just like that!! Kids are so hilarious! You are right, that teacher won't ever forget you-which is a good thing! I can't believe these little babies are already kindergarteners!! She'll do so great!