»

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Try It Tuesday

This is one of my favorite recipes. My kids LOVE it, too. Justin, on the other hand, usually requests meat to go with it, but the rest of us can fill up on just the casserole.
Mixed Grain Casserole
aka Go for the Grains
1 can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
1 cup sliced carrots (thinly)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup pearl barley
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup bulgur
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients except cheese in baking dish. Cover. Bake 50-60 minutes on 350, stirring once halfway through baking time. Sprinkle with cheese.

4 comments:

Esther Ogden said...

Love the new post idea, Jo! I have to second this one for your other viewers; one of my favorites of Amber's recipes! =)

Elena said...

Sounds like it's a good one to clear yourself out with. ;) I think my kids would like it too and their dad would say the same thing as your kids' dad. "Where's the beef?" Thanks for sharing, and to have it approved by Ess to boot, must be good.

Aric and Sally said...

Impressive photo! You could probably submit that to the betty crocker cookbook.

Jennifer M said...

That looks really yummy--just the kind of thing I would like. So where do you get bulgur (it's wheat, right?)