»

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Try It Tuesday


My sister-in-law, Elena, started a "Try It Tuesday" where we post recipes that we've tried and want to share. If you have a tried and true recipe, post it, and leave a comment on my blog so we call all try it. I thought I'd add one that my family enjoys. I know it has some interesting ingredients, but it all comes together pretty tasty.

Turkey Picadillo Tacos


1 T vegetable oil
1 medium-size onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (don't try substituting beef, it won't taste as good)
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground cumin
1/4 t ground allspice
1/4 t black pepper
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
18 hard taco shells
1 can Mexicorn (11 ounces), drained
1 can black beans (I added this one because I love beans)
Shredded lettuce, sour cream, shopped cilantro and onion for garnish

Cook onion and turkey in oil until onion is tender and turkey is no longer pink. Stir in garlic salt cinnamon, cumin, allspice, pepper and tomato sauce. Simmer, covered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Heat taco shells at 400 for 5 minutes.
Add corn and beans to turkey mixture and heat through.
To serve, spoon filling into warmed taco shells and top with garnishes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, you did one! Those sound yummy. (Don't tell Jarom, but I use ground turkey in our tacos all of the time. ;) ) Thanks for participating. It's so much fun to hear what everyone eats.

Brandon and Emily said...

Thanks for the recipe!! We really enjoyed it.

The Manwaring Family said...

Sounds really good. I will try this next week!

Janice said...

Yum! I want to try it this Tuesday! Scoping out all you girls and your fun blogs! It is so fun catching up despite being a 1000 miles away.

Janice
HastingsFamily6.blogspot.com